Home / Coconut Hot Chocolate
Coconut Hot Chocolate
The richness of this recipe with the coconut milk is delicious! The meringue topping is soft and fluffy which adds a wonderful texture to this beverage.
Author: New York Times
Recipe type: Hot Beverage
Serves: 2 cups
For the Chocolate
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 15-ounce can coconut milk
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, chopped about ¼ cup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Meringue
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoons superfine sugar
- Whisk cocoa into ⅓ cup boiling water.
- In a saucepan, combine coconut milk, brown sugar and salt. Simmer, stirring, until sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Whisk in hot cocoa and chocolate until smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- In bowl of an electric mixer, beat egg white on medium speed until it begins to foam, about 1 minute. Add superfine sugar tablespoon by tablespoon as mixer is running. Beat until egg white stiffens to soft peaks and is shiny, 5 minutes. Dollop onto cups of hot chocolate.